Editor closes down newspaper and flees after receiving death threats

first_img May 13, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts April 27, 2021 Find out more RSF, IFEX-ALC and Media Defence, support FLIP and journalist Diana Díaz against state harassment in Colombia RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America ColombiaAmericas Reporters Without Borders voiced concern today about the fate of Diro César Gonzáles, the owner and editor of the weekly La Tarde in Barrancabermeja (in the northeastern department of Santander), who has suspended publication of his newspaper and has been forced to flee the region after receiving death threats, probably from right-wing paramilitaries.“Like Gonzáles, eight other Colombian journalists were last year forced to stop working and flee their home region, or the country,” the press freedom organisation said. “It is becoming impossible for journalists to work in Colombia’s war zones.”Reporters Without Borders added: “We are especially worried to learn that a blacklist put out by the paramilitaries, with the names of Gonzáles and other department of Santander journalists, has been circulating since the end of last year, and we again urge the Colombian authorities to pursue their attempts to demobilise the armed groups.”Two men on a motor-cycle went to the Gonzáles family home on 17 January and asked to speak with Gonzáles. His wife, Tatiana Sánchez, who also works at the newspaper, told them he was not there. After muttering something incomprehensible, they left. Sánchez noticed that one of the men was armed and she recognised the other as someone who had been accused of involvement in the murder of his wife in a local discotheque on 23 December. The latest issue of La Tarde had details of the murder along with photos of the suspects, who had been arrested.Gonzáles has received threats in the past and has never been too concerned, even when his name and those of two other local journalists appeared late last year on a blacklist that is reportedly still circulating in the department.But then, at the end of December, two men on a motor-cycle were repeatedly seen driving around the neighbourhood where La Tarde is located and they went to Gonzáles’ home where they told his wife that the order had gone out for her husband to be killed.Threats have also been made recently against other journalists in the department of Santander, including Alvaro Pérez Vides, the managing director of the TV station Telepetroleo, who was also forced to leave Barrancabermeja. Follow the news on Colombia 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies Newscenter_img Reports ColombiaAmericas January 23, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Editor closes down newspaper and flees after receiving death threats News RSF_en to go further News Organisation October 21, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Read more

Press release: Horticulture industry urged to be vigilant for signs of tree pest

first_img Since 2012 we have invested more than £37 million in tree health research, including a dedicated programme of research and development on oak. We are working with local authorities and land managers to tackle OPM with a control programme of treatment and surveillance and in 2018 we introduced tighter restrictions on the importation of oak trees to England. Woodland managers, land owners, the forest industry and tree nurseries are being urged to remain vigilant after the Plant Health Service intercepted a finding of Oak Processionary Moth (OPM) caterpillars on trees recently imported from the Netherlands.Swift action is being taken to eradicate this finding in Hampshire, including surveillance and tracing work. However, the case highlights the need for continued vigilance to protect the UK’s trees and forests against pests and diseases.OPM is an established pest in parts of London and surrounding areas, but the rest of the country is designated as a Protected Zone (PZ).OPM caterpillars feed on oak leaves and can increase trees’ vulnerability to attack by other pests and diseases, making them less able to withstand adverse weather conditions such as drought and floods.Professor Nicola Spence, Defra Chief Plant Health Officer, said: The Forestry Commission, councils and land managers tackle the pest with an annual control programme of tree treatment.Increased measures to protect the country from the spread of OPM were introduced in 2018. Restrictions on the import of most species of oak into England have been introduced as part of these regulations to protect native trees.If you suspect OPM, you should not attempt to destroy or move infected material yourself as the nests and caterpillars can pose some risks to human health. Visit the Forest Research website for more information on how to identify OPM.To report sightings of pests and diseases, use the TreeAlert online portal. Those of us involved in importing or trading plants must maintain our vigilance against exotic pests and diseases such as OPM. There is a lot we can do such as buying British, only buying stock from reputable, responsible suppliers and inspecting imported plants. Inspect, inspect and inspect again – we can’t check imported plants too often for signs of trouble. Don’t presume that because your supplier found no evidence of a pest or disease that you won’t either. You might spot something that they have missed. Dr Anna Brown, Head of Tree Health & Contingency Planning, Forestry Commission, said:last_img read more

Read more

Rouge River Dredging Contract Awarded

first_imgGreat Lakes Dock and Materials LLC,from Muskegon, Michigan, has signed a $15.7 million contract for debris removal and environmental dredging in the lower Rouge River old channel.The Old Channel runs from the main channel of the Rouge River to the outlet at the Detroit River. The waterway is approximately 200 feet wide and 1.5 miles long, running between Zug Island on the east and the Detroit shoreline on the west side of the channel.Sediments in the channel have been environmentally impacted by years of industrial activity along and upstream of the waterway.The objective of the project is to remediate contaminated sediments under the authority of the Great Lakes Legacy Act, as implemented by the Environmental Protection Agency.Bids for this environmental cleanup scheme were solicited via the internet with three received, according to the latest U.S. Department of Defense’s (DoD) release.The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Detroit District, is the contracting activity and an estimated completion date of this dredging program is June 30, 2020.last_img read more

Read more