Chelsea hopes boosted as Hudson-Odoi cools on Bayern

first_imgCallum Hudson-Odoi is set to make a decision on his future in the coming days, with Chelsea growing increasingly confident he will commit his future to the Stamford Bridge outfit.With Bayern Munich offering £35 million ($45.3m) to take the teenager to the Allianz Arena and with first-team opportunities hard to come by, Hudson-Odoi had been pushing for a move to the Bundesliga champions.But Goal now understands that after a run of games in the first team in early 2019 and talk of a contract in west London that would be a better illustration of his true value, he is considering remaining with his boyhood club. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? The Blues are willing to offer Hudson-Odoi a deal worth £70,000-a-week to tempt him to stay in west London despite him only having made 13 senior appearances.Bayern now face a fight themselves to convince a player who, despite not handing in an official transfer request, saw his next move as joining them and following in the footsteps of fellow Under-17 World Cup winner Jadon Sancho in swapping the Premier League for the German top-flight.The Bavarians have even offered the 18-year-old the No.10 shirt that Arjen Robben will vacate at the end of the season, and with Franck Ribery also set to depart Bayern, Hudson-Odoi was promised a prominent role in Niko Kovac’s rebuilding job in Munich.Callum Hudson-Odoi Chelsea 2018-19Ahead of Bayern’s first bid for the wideman in late December he had played just 215 minutes under Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri despite an encouraging pre-season that ended with him being offered a new five-year contract.That lack of game time saw him turn down the offer of committing his future to the club, but since Bayern’s interest he has become more of a regular under Sarri.He has already doubled his game time for the season in the last month, with two league appearances and a start in the Carabao Cup semi-final first leg against Tottenham under his belt.The teenager featured off the bench in Saturday’s win over Newcastle, when the Stamford Bridge faithful greeted him with a rendition of ‘Hudson-Odoi, we want you to stay’.As a player who joined the club at the age of eight, such a show of faith from supporters could yet play a part in him deciding against a departure to the continent and remaining at Chelsea.last_img read more

Read more

Côte dIvoire UN mission deplores excessive use of force against demonstrators

22 February 2011The United Nations peacekeeping mission in Côte d’Ivoire today deplored the excessive use of force against demonstrators in the city of Abidjan and surrounding areas over the past couple of days, saying the violence had left dozens of people dead or wounded. The mission (UNOCI) condemned the disproportionate use of force by security forces, who it said used heavy weapons against the demonstrators.“UNOCI calls on all parties to exercise restraint at a time when political and diplomatic efforts are under way at the highest level to find a peaceful solution to the Ivorian post-electoral crisis,” the mission said in a press release.Côte d’Ivoire descended into turmoil in early December when Mr. Laurent Gbagbo, the outgoing president, refused to leave office despite opposition leader Allasane Ouattara’s UN-certified victory in the presidential elections. Mr. Ouattara has been recognized by the international community as the duly elected president.The head of UNOCI’s police component has warned that Gbagbo loyalist militias may be preparing for civil war. “The Gbagbo clan has a long tradition of mobilizing militias and being very hostile and having armed mobs which it is at present trying to rally,” Commissioner Jean-Marie Bourry told the UN News Centre last week. “Everything leads us to believe that we are seeing preparations for a civil war.”The election was meant to be the culminating point in reunifying the country, which was split by civil war in 2002 into a Government-controlled south and a rebel-held north.Mr. Gbagbo has demanded the withdrawal of the 9,000-strong UNOCI. Not only has the UN refused this but the Security Council last month, in a unanimous resolution adopted under Chapter VII of the UN Charter, which allows for the use of force, authorized the immediate deployment of an additional 2,000 troops and three armed helicopters.Cote read more

Read more