Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) president Amaju Pinnick has revealed he’ll meet with Victor Moses to consider a return to the national team.The Chelsea wingback announced his retirement from international football back in August 2018 sighting family and club commitment as reasons for his decision.The 28-year-old who made his debut for the Nigerian national team against Rwanda in 2012 played a huge role in helping the west Africans claim the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa.Pinnick believes the former Crystal Palace Player deserves a ceremonious exit from the national team as he hopes to convince him back to the squad.“I believe he is someone that has paid his dues and he shouldn’t just leave Nigerian football unceremoniously. I talk to him every day and I make him understand that he can still return,” Pinnick told Channels TV, as quoted by Goal.Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.“He can’t just say he is going and we let him go just like that. I will be meeting with him and his agent soon at a roundtable and even if he wants to go, there must be a ceremony for him to go.”“Just like what England did for Wayne Rooney. We must celebrate them at every point in time.”“Even if he says I’m begging him, I don’t mind. It is not as if we don’t have players, but we need to encourage our players so that others will know that even when they retire, we still have them in mind, even though some of them retire because of ego.”
This story appeared first at FOLIO: sister site minonline. Mediaweek and Brandweek will be folding into Adweek in coming days. Notes atop the respective Prometheus Global media sites yesterday (April 11) told readers, “In the upcoming weeks, Mediaweek.com [and Brandweek.com] will become part of the new completely redesigned Adweek.com. You’ll still get the brand marketing news you seek out here, but in an enhanced site with an unmatched user experience. Look forward to exclusive content, more video and new interactivity – coming soon!” Similar notes accompanied the print issues of all three publications this week.Read the rest of the story here.
First-quarter revenues for the publishing division dropped from $19.5 million in 2014 to $5.7 million in 2015, again reflecting the shift in publishing business and management from MSLO to Meredith. Operating expenses dropped 65 percent, with the group recording an operating loss of $2.1 million. Total company revenues for the quarter were about $17 million, down from $33.3 million same period last year. The 10-year licensing agreement between Meredith and MSLO was announced last October and took effect in November. Looking longer-term, Dienst said in the earnings call that the Meredith deal is expected to drive publishing group profitability and that it was not solely a way to take costs out of the operation. In a statement about the report, CEO Dan Dienst described the company as more efficient and “asset-light.” The majority of revenues are out of the merchandising group. First-quarter results provide some visibility into the group’s run rate, he says, adding, “This was not just an exercise in cost avoidance, as noble an endeavor as that may have been for a business that bled for years. We’re hoping and expecting that as we build this traffic pipeline and creating this content, that we’ll start to see that profit share come through on the print side or the revenue share come through on the digital side.” Those upsides will become most evident during the company’s busy holiday season in the fourth quarter, he said. Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia’s Q1 results are out and it’s the first report to reflect a full quarter since the company transferred the print and digital sales and circulation business of Martha Stewart Living to Meredith.
1:53 See All Smart Home Security Cameras reading • More security camera companies should offer free cloud storage Here’s how to install the Ring Door View Cam on your peephole Amazon’s Blink XT2 outdoor security camera survived a heat wave and a rainstorm For a free security camera, look no further than your old phone How to install the Ring Door View Cam Free cloud storage is kind of a big deal The RemoBell S isn’t the first smart doorbell from Remo Plus. Its battery-powered $199 RemoBell has many limitations that make it tough to recommend. Fortunately, the RemoBell S is a significant improvement. I first spied the RemoBell S at CES 2019 and liked its black finish and simple design. It’s hardwired, meaning it can’t be powered by batteries like its predecessor and some of its competitors, such as the $199 Ring Video Doorbell 2. Your RemoBell S purchase includes a Power Kit, which is required for installation with mechanical chimes. This process is pretty straightforward, but be sure to ask a qualified professional if you have questions, or consult Remo Plus’s walkthrough video. The RemoBell S also supports Alexa and Google Assistant voice commands. Basically, you get access to a lot of the same things without the headache of a monthly subscription plan. Of course, the RemoBell S isn’t perfect. I don’t like the Remo Plus app. It’s minimal, but somehow manages to look outdated and clunky too. It also has an optional fisheye view on the live feed screen that makes it more difficult to pick out details. At least the fisheye view is optional. Screenshots by Megan Wollerton/CNET Ring still sells its original Video Doorbell for $100 (the closest competitor to the RemoBell S), but Ring charges $3 per month to view any recorded, saved clips captured when it detects motion. No, $3 per month isn’t much to spend, but why pay for a subscription plan when you don’t have to? And most of Ring’s doorbells cost $199; the high-end hardwired Ring Video Doorbell Pro costs a whopping $249. Pricing in the $200 range is pretty standard across the board for DIY smart doorbells. But the RemoBell S is quietly changing things. (Maybe we really will have another Wyze trend on our hands at some point. It’s a little too soon to tell.) Ring did not immediately respond to CNET’s request for comment. Now playing: Watch this: The RemoBell S has three-day free cloud storage. I like that. Chris Monroe/CNET Earlier this month I wrote about Wyze, a smart home company whose uber-affordable products hold their own alongside Nest and other high-end brands. That trend continues with the RemoBell S from startup Remo Plus. The RemoBell S has all of the regular stuff you get with every live streaming doorbell, like HD resolution and night vision. It also has three-day free cloud storage. In a market dominated by brands with optional subscription services — that are actually quite necessary if you want any access to saved video clips — free cloud storage is a unique offering and kind of a big deal. Factor in its $99 upfront cost and the hardwired RemoBell S is well worth considering. The Remo Plus app is a bit clunky, but it’s a small price to pay for such a great value. Why pay for a monthly subscription when you can get roughly the same thing for free? (Honestly, I’m asking. Let me know in the comments.) • Aug 30 • Battling bot vacs: iRobot Roomba S9+ vs Neato Botvac D7 Connected Comments Share your voice CNET Smart Home CNET Smart Home Aug 30 • iRobot Roomba S9 Plus vs. Neato Botvac D7 Connected Aug 31 • Alexa can tell you if someone breaks into your house 12 smart doorbells to watch over your front stoop Is it better than Ring? It’s hard to argue with the value of the $99 RemoBell S. Its relatively low upfront cost and generous three-day free cloud storage has a ton of appeal. Add on its decent performance and integration with Alexa and Google Assistant and it’s easy to see why the RemoBell S has replaced the $100 Ring Video Doorbell as the best value for a smart doorbell. I wish the Remo Plus app were better and I don’t know why Remo Plus gave the live feed a fisheye effect, but the RemoBell S is a strong competitor alongside brands like Ring. Definitely consider the RemoBell S if you’re looking for a hardwired video doorbell with free cloud storage. Also, I have a plea for companies that don’t currently offer any free cloud storage. Apple is going to make it look like you’re nickle-and-diming when it turns on Secure Video and its 10-day free clip storage requirement for HomeKit cameras when iOS 13 hits in September. Please consider it. Even a few hours of free access makes a difference. 6 Tags Read more Aug 31 • Best smart light bulbs for 2019 (plus switches, light strips, accessories and more) 13 Photos
Mahbub TalukdarElection commissioner Mahbub Talukdar on Thursday raised objection to the move to procure electronic voting machines (EVMs) for using in the December general polls, according to EC officials.Amid criticism and controversy, the election commission on Thursday organised a meeting at the Nirbachan Bhaban to finalise a proposal for amending the People Representative Order (RPO) for giving legal coverage to use of EVMs in the parliamentary elections.Mahbub left the meeting giving a note of decent within half an hour of the beginning at 11:00am, sources there said.The sudden move, less than two months before the announcement of the election schedule in October, has been questioned by the political parties.The opposition parties wonder if 150,000 EVMs will be procured just to serve vested quarters, especially when they do not have the capacity to make the best use of them.Some of the election commissioners also pointed out it is not the right time to plan the use of EVMs in the national elections. This would create controversy, they added.Last year, the EC held dialogues with 39 political parties. Some 23 parties gave their opinion on the use of EVMs in the 11th parliamentary elections. A total of 12 parties including the BNP opposed the use of EVMs.Seven parties including Awami League were in favour of EVMs while three parties suggested using it on trial basis and a party favoured EVMs on certain conditions.The EC has already started a five-year Tk 38 billion project on procurement of 150,000 EVMs with Bangladesh Machine Tools Factory (BMTF) being tasked to supply the machines. The EC was to hold a meeting of the project evaluation committee on 19 August, but it was not eventually held.Despite the impasse, the Trust Bank got a special permission from the Bangladesh Bank to open a letter of credit (L/C) for procurement of the EVMs.Official documents say the BMTF would buy the machines and other machinaries from China, Hong Kong and other countries. Till date, L/Cs worth over Tk 7 billion have been opened. Around Tk 26.96 billion would be spent to buy the machines.
Bangladesh high commissioner to the UK Saida Muna Tasneem receives prime minister Sheikh Hasina at the the Heathrow International Airport in London on Wednesday. Photo: PIDPrime minister Sheikh Hasina reached the British capital London tonight on an official visit to the United Kingdom (UK).A VVIP flight of Biman Bangladesh Airlines carrying the prime minister and her entourage members landed at the Heathrow International Airport in London at 3:45pm local time.Bangladesh high commissioner to the UK Saida Muna Tasneem received the prime minister at the airport.The premier left Dhaka for London at 9.15am local time.PM’s private industry and investment advisor Salman F Rahman is accompanying the prime minister during her visit to the UK.Foreign minister AK Abdul Momen reached in London yesterday.
It was by far the largest protest since his center-right government took power in 2010 and pursued moves to redefine many walks of life, drawing accusations of creeping authoritarianism, although it was re-elected by a landslide this year. Orban’s government has imposed special taxes on the banking, retail, energy and telecommunications sectors to keep the budget deficit in check, jeopardizing profits in some parts of the economy and unnerving international investors. The internet data levy idea was first floated in the 2015 tax code submitted to the Central European country’s parliament last week, triggering objections from internet service providers and users who felt it was anti-democratic. The crowd, which was organized by a Facebook-based social network and appeared to draw mostly well-heeled professionals, marched through central Budapest demanding the repeal of the planned tax and the ouster of Orban. Many protesters held up makeshift signs that read ‘ERROR!’ and ‘How many times do you want to skin us?’ Zsolt Varady, an internet entrepreneur and founder of a now-defunct Hungarian social network iwiw.hu, told the crowd that the tax threatened to undermine internet freedoms. ‘Between 2006 and 2006 iwiw motivated many people to get an internet subscription,’ Varady said. ‘People were willing to pay for the service because they knew, saw and felt that their lives were becoming better… The internet tax threatens the further growth of the Internet as well as freedom of information.’ Tax reduced after first protest. The government had planned to tax internet data transfers at a rate of 150 forints per gigabyte. After analysts calculated this would total more than the sector’s annual revenue and an initial protest drew thousands on Sunday, Fidesz submitted a bill that capped the tax at 700 forints per month for individuals and 5,000 forints for companies. That did not placate Tuesday’s protesters. ‘I am a student, my parents are not well off, neither am I, so I work hard,’ said Ildiko Pirk, a 22-year-old studying nursing. ‘I doubt the internet companies won’t build this tax into their prices. And I have a computer, a smartphone, as does my mother and my four siblings… That adds up.’ She said the internet was vital for her to get the books she needs for her studies but also to read unbiased news that is not under the control of Hungary’s ruling political elite. She and other protesters said the government’s other moves also bothered them, such as a perceived mismanagement of the economy and a recent dispute with the United States over alleged corruption of Hungarian public officials. The Orban government denied any anti-democratic agenda, saying it aimed only to get all economic sectors to share the tax burden and was tapping into a trend of telecommunications shifting away from already-taxed telephony and text messages.
Kolkata: A garden with a musical fountain has come up on the boulevard situated opposite Lake Kalibari on Southern Avenue in South Kolkata.The Kalibari authorities along with the Kolkata Municipal Corporation have developed the boulevard, with financial assistance from Exide under their CSR project. A beautiful garden has come up on the boulevard which serves as the lungs to the people living in the vicinity. A statue of Haripada Chakraborty, founder of Lake Kalibari, has also been installed. A musical fountain has also been installed, which is operated in the evening. KMC has made special arrangements so that there is constant supply of water, which makes the fountain operational throughout the year. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataThere is a pedestrian pathway and a butterfly garden. Huge pots filled with water are kept for birds to drink during the summer. Ornamental benches have been installed so that people can sit and enjoy the serene environment. The garden was inaugurated by Gautam Chatterjee, managing director of Exide, in presence of dignitaries on April 10, 2019. Lake Kalibari is a symbol of communal peace and harmony. Hundreds of people from different religions, cult and faith come to the temple everyday to offer puja and prayer. The construction of a huge new temple is being carried out in full swing at the premises of Lake Kalibari. Murals depicting Bhakti movement and gods and goddesses have been put up on the walls. The Kalibari carries out various social services which include helping people coming from economically challenged backgrounds, irrespective of religion.